WordPress is the world’s most popular tool for creating websites and blogs. Using that, you can create any type of website or blog without coding knowledge.
Websites created in WordPress are more powerful and more SEO friendly. Therefore on the Internet, more than 37% of websites are made in WordPress.
What is WordPress technically?
Technically, WordPress is a CMS (Content Management System) written in PHP Programming language and uses a MySQL Database or MariaDB.
What is Content Management System?
A content management system, often abbreviated as CMS, is a tool used to create, manage, and modify content on a website without writing any piece of code, because the CMS provides you a user-interface to perform this kind of action.
Why should you use WordPress to build your website?
- WordPress is Free, Fast, and Secure.
- It is easy to use and also easy to learn.
- Website management will become much easier.
- Your website will be SEO-Friendly. In non-geek terms, SEO-Friendly websites are best friends of search engines such as Google. It will help your website to rank in search engines.
- WordPress has a large community where you can find answers to your WordPress queries.
- WordPress comes with a large collection of free themes and plugins, and that is enough to fulfill your basic need.
Difference between the WordPress.com and WordPress.org
WordPress has two types of versions –
1. Hosted Version (WordPress.com)
In the Hosted Version of WordPress, your website runs on the official WordPress.com servers. It is free, but it also has premium plans.
If you want to create a website for free on WordPress.Com, you just have to sign up for creating an account on WordPress.Com.
2. Self-Hosted Version (WordPress.org)
WordPress.Org is completely free and open-source. It provides you their amazing CMS tool to manage your website easily.
But, it does not provide you a hosting and domain. Therefore, you have to run your website on your own web hosting account (that’s why it is called Self-Hosted Version).
Should you use WordPress.com or WordPress.org
In my recommendation, if you are serious about creating and running a blog or website, you must go with the self-hosted version.
However, WordPress.com has a free plan, but there are lots of limitations.
Limitations of WordPress.com
- You can not upload Themes or Plugins. But you can install themes from their limited free themes collection.
- You can’t create an eCommerce website because WordPress.com does not offer any eCommerce features.
- WordPress.com runs ads on all the free websites. But you don’t make money from it. If you want to remove ads, you have to upgrade your website plan by paying a certain amount.
- If your website violates their terms of service, they reserved the power of removing your site at any time.
As we have seen yet, the free Plan of WordPress.com has too many limitations. But, you can reduce your limits by upgrading your website plan.
But still, you will have some restrictions, after upgrading your plan. Therefore, you should always go with WordPress.Org. It gives you complete control of your website.